Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Soupy Chicken Pot Pie!

 It is sooo cold for this April 15th that I felt I had to make something warm and comforting.  This is my choice.  Soupy Chicken Pot Pie!


Fall is in the air today so my thoughts are going to making something in my crockpot.  This recipe is super easy and using a crockpot is an easy option.  This meal is great to warm you up on a chilly day

I was accustomed to making Pot Pie in a crust!  That's how I made it when I was first married.  I used Betty Crocker's easy pot pie recipe but today I am making the version that was frequently made by my friends  when I lived in another area of the state and it was more soup like but thick in a gravy type broth.

Happy Cooking!

6 cups chicken broth (canned chicken broth can easily be used)
1 large whole chicken breast
1 large carrot
1  to 2 stalks celery
1- 8 oz. large thick style pasta or noodles

In a medium to large crock pot place all ingredients.  Cook on high until chicken is tender.

If using crockpot option: After chicken and vegetables are tender (Cook on low for approx. 6 hours) Strain and dice carrots, celery and chicken and add to **thickened broth.  Cook noodles separately or add to strained chicken broth and cook until thickened. 

**Stove top method.  Cook chicken and vegetables in large stockpot with approx. 6 cups water. Cook on medium heat until chicken falls off the bone.  Remove chicken and vegetables from broth.  Cut chicken and vegetables into bite size pieces. Add large pot pie noodles to broth.  Cook on low heat until noodles are tender.    Thicken broth as suggested below.

**Thicken broth with a rue of 2 tablespoons melted butter,1 small grated onion and 1/4 cup flour. Blend together well with a whisk if possible and fold into broth.  Enjoy! 


For Crockpot Method:  Note:  Do not add noodles until ready to eat. (I cook them separately) and add 10 minutes before serving.
 
M.J.

I dice my carrots,celery and chicken after soup is cooked. 


Chicken Stock for a hearty chicken veggie flavor

I use grated onion, butter and flour for this pot pie rue.


Making a Rue

Heating the liquid ensures lumps won't form as easily.
Make sure you cook the flour-butter mixture for 1-2 minutes so the soup will thicken.
Using a wire whisk really is essential. It incorporates the liquid into the rue very well, preventing lumps from forming.




10/22/12

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Although it is Spring here I wouldn't mind this dish:))